Thursday, March 15, 2012

Girls are Cool & Boys Drool!

Because my little sister is a princess...
Jojo: Kayla can you do my nails?
Me: Of course love, what color?
Jojo: Pink, Red, Purple...not black, thats a boy color.
::Paints nails::
Jojo: I'm a princess, and princesses have to be pretty and have pretty nails. Because I'm a girl, I have to sit still so my nails don't get messy. I can't play rough games like Dave, because my nails can't get messed up. Kayla!... let me blow my nails to dry them!!!

Since the age of two, my little sister has always been particular about the things she wears, how her hair is fixed, and very stern about acquiring a "girly" behavior. My other sisters aren't as vain as my  6 year old little sister, but her behavior speaks volumes to the societal and cultural gender expected norms and roles of girls and boys. From very young ages we are often taught what behaviors are appropriate for what gender. And often times, when we go against such norms we are told by our peers and other on lookers, that we aren't "normal" and sometimes face possible mistreatment and bullying. At the young age of school, and especially by the time young kids begin pre-school, they have a high understanding of what's appropriate behavior for the gender and can easily stereotype what boys can do vs what girls can do. My sister speaks about being able to wear dresses and playing with dolls, while our young male cousin her same age can play video games and go outside without a shirt. It almost intrigues her about the different things girls can do but boys cant.

The biggest advocates for structuring gender roles in our societies, are fathers. Many fathers baby their daughters, and allow them to express their feelings and most always comforts them when needed. Yet for young sons, they tell them not to cry, and to play rough. Nowadays it is a lot more acceptable for a little girls to play with toy trucks or even aspire to be firefighters, doctors, or anything else they dream to be. Yet still, boys are often scold for picking up a toy doll, and rarely are tolerated when they dress in any type of female wear. Little girls can wear shorts, the color blue, and play all types of sports. But our society is so against young males showing sensitive behavior, that they grow up ready to resort to violence than talk about their feelings. Boys are also most likely to tease another boy for "acting feminine" while accepting to the "tom boy" girls as good friends. Gender roles are so rooted into our society that it would be quite difficult for us to step away from them. The best thing we can do as parents and adults, is to step away from the gender stereotypes and accept our children for how they wish to express themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Society is completely stratified according to gender, along with race and class. Norms are set in stone as law, and we as citizens are expected to follow them as such. I, myself, have grown up overseas most of my life and have not been exposed to all these norms. When I grew up in Italy, for example, I was living in a very patriarchial system. At the time, my dream was to become a lawyer. That was just it; a dream. After moving to the U.S.A. I still saw gender roles applied, but they constantly were being revised. My dream of being a lawyer wasn't such a dream after all. Now in the Air Force Reserve, I challange many societal norms that were not accepted long ago. I agree that we should encourage our children to follow their heart's desire.

    ReplyDelete