Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's All in Your Temperament!

Even as children, our personality and characteristics vary by such a great degree. I have three younger cousins, all related, yet different in so many ways. The eldest, a four year old little boy was such a peaceful baby. He rarely cried, ate anything in sight, and was comfortable around most people. Although he is no longer an infant, he portrays some of the same qualities but through schooling has become a lot more outspoken. He is what psychologist would describe as a "easy child" on the basis of his easy going temperament. Of the 65% of children that fall within one of three categories of temperament, he accounts for the 40% of the "easy going" children. While his parents have been given a smooth experience in raising him, there are some disadvantages of having an "easy child." With an easy child, often when the child becomes sick or hurt, the parents are not always equipped to best handle the situation as a parent of a "difficult child" would. Also the easy going nature of the child leaves him open to dangers of strangers in the outside world.

Another cousin, younger than the 1st, is a three year old child. Still, very close to the toddler age, he continues to hold the same qualities as he did as an infant. As a newborn it always took him awhile to adjust to any type of sleeping patterns. As an infant, when it came to feeding, it always took him awhile before he was able to truly enjoy a specific food, and even with the adults in his life, he only became attached after a well enough time. Like 15% of the children that fall into the temperament categories, psychologist would describe him as a "slow-to warm" child. It has always taken him awhile to get use to things (toys, food, etc.), as well as people other than his parents. Even with a little brother, he shows possessiveness over the people that try to interact with his baby brother. As a "slow-to warm" child, his parents always have problems at 1st with getting him adjusted to many things, but usually things run a lot more smoothly after, allowing them to feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.

My third and final cousin, the youngest of the two, and brother of the last, is one years old. As a newborn he cried all through the night, as well as whenever he was hungry, had to be changed, had to be given a bath, or not feeling comfortable. He is very specific about the food he receives, and acts out in random occasions. His parents whose first child was "slow-to-warm" sort of gained to their "toolbox" of parenting with dealing with their second child. Of the three temperaments of categories, this son falls into the 10% categorized as a "difficult" child. While in this case much stress is added to the parents lives, they also hold greater knowledge of how to deal with pressuring circumstances involving their child. His older brother once said to me while I tried to put them to sleep, "Kayla, my brother is stuck at the side of the bed." As this is usual of his "difficult" character, it wasn't much news to me and I knew how to react immediately!


3 comments:

  1. I think this is interesting. I have nephews, one is 4 and the twins are 3. As I was reading this, it made a lot of sense. Troy, the oldest, was the easy child. My sister never had trouble with him, and so the parenting part was easy too. Then the twins came along. Together, they both have qualities of the other two categories. And now that I think of it, we all had trouble adjusting to them, because our parenting (and aunting/grandparenting/etc) techniques all had to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you should write this because I have observed the same things, however we call it syndromes. My parents have 3 kids and they always say that My sister (the oldest) was the quiet child. She didn't need a lot of attention or anything. Then It was me (the middle child), I was the attention grabber and cryer who was always hungry. My brother (the youngest) was a mix between us both, he would be your slow-to-warm child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with these developing patterns to a certain extent. I, for one, was considered a difficult child. I was wild, violent, possessive, outspoke and tended to pick up "potty words" every other day. Today people see me as quiet, calm, and I am always given the title "mature." I'm not sure if all these qualities fit my personality, but it sure is the complete opposite of when I was a child. I grew up with my cousin, who is a year younger. As an infant, she cried and did not follow regular feeding patterns. I always was laughing, but she never smiled. Today she is more outgoing than I am, being one of the biggest social butterflies I know. Maybe we're just the exceptions to the norm.

    ReplyDelete